Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Smiling at Strangers

Walking down the streets of Chicago, Vanessa and I were having a conversation that consisted of me explaining my spitefulness towards love and how it has failed me so many times over the past few years. It was immediately after finishing my long winded rant that i looked up in enough time to see a man working at a food stand look at me and gesture with his hands, the words "I love you". He was a stout man in his, what appeared to be, late 50's. he didn't make the gesture in an inappropriate manner, more so in a way that was meant to give me something to smile at. (Something I hadn't done for the greater part of our Chicago trip.)

It was this action that gave me a feeling I haven't felt in what feels like a lifetime. A feeling that out "there", somewhere in this world, there are people who want to make other people feel good inside. That there are people who have the ability to love someone else and come bearing good intentions. The idea that even though love and the concept surrounding it has failed more times than I can count on one hand, that there might still be a reason to keep trying.

This tiny, minute action has instilled a very small amount of hope that real love might still exist somewhere. maybe not in the greater Detroit area...but somewhere.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Crystal V.Rosinski said...

I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. I think we all feel that way sometimes. It's a great feeling though when strangers perform those random acts of kindness. Sometimes its just what you need to brighten your day.

XO said...

there are people out there that only want to make people feel good inside and truly loved. sadly the ones who often try are passed over and go unnoticed because they are generally the shyest of people. i guess this goes by personal experience.

we don't want to tell you out front that it's all we want to do. i would hope that the little things would make you realize this.

in the end, isn't it what really counts, the little things?